Mold is a type of fungus that usually grows on food, plants, and various materials like fabric and wood as well. When left in nature, it can be harmless, however, if it gets into our homes or office space, it can be very dangerous. Mold can be transmitted into your commercial space through various ways like air vents, clothes, or air ducts. Since it is a living organism, when provided with the right conditions like oxygen and water, it can grow and become very dangerous and pose a health hazard to your employees’ health. Additionally, if your building is humid, it will increase the chance of this fungus growing and spreading. 

It is impossible to spot mold with the naked eye. However, once it starts growing in large numbers, it starts forming spots that will make it easy for you to detect its presence. If your office space is infected with mold, then you need to work fast to remedy the situation because any exposure to it can cause many health issues. Keep reading to find out what the main health risks of having mold in your commercial space are.


If any person in your commercial space is sensitive to mold, then they will have an allergic reaction once they are exposed to it. People who develop allergies to this fungus will experience symptoms like throat, mouth, and nose irritation, sneezing, runny nose, and eye irritation. The symptoms of mold allergies can resemble that of seasonal allergies. Additionally, if any of your employees are already allergic to mold and are exposed to it, they may start having asthma attacks as well.


As mentioned, allergic reactions to mold can cause asthma attacks. Employees who already suffer from asthma will develop inflammation in their airways as a reaction to being exposed to various irritating substances, including mold. As a result of this exposure, asthma patients will start feeling out of breath, tightness in their chests, and coughing. In this case, they will require inhalers to be able to manage these symptoms.

Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis

In some cases, when an individual inhales organic dust, they start developing a sensitive immune system which is called Hypersensitivity pneumonitis or HP. HP is a condition that causes lung inflammation and can quite resemble the symptoms of pneumonia. However, unlike pneumonia, antibiotics are ineffective when treating HP. 

Constant exposure to mold can cause lung damage to people suffering from HP. It is your responsibility as an employer to protect your employees’ health and provide them with a safe work environment. Therefore, if you notice mold growing in your property, then you need to take action ASAP and hire a mold removal and restoration service. Finding one isn’t hard, there are dozens of services in every state. If you live in Nashville, Tennessee, then a quick online search will provide you with a list of some of the best Nashville restoration companies and the detailed services they provide. They can come to your commercial space and help take care of your mold problem to prevent health issues that can cause severe consequences in the long run. Additionally, mold can also cause structural damages to your property, which is why you must get rid of it as soon as it is discovered. Your employees’ safety should be your number one priority. Remember, if any of them get sick because of mold at the workplace, they will have ground to sue. 

How Mold Can Damage a Property

Health risks aren’t the only problems mold can cause. As a matter of fact, this fungus can also cause serious structural damages to property. This is because mold can grow inside insulation and walls, as a result, it can weaken the walls, and they may require rebuilding to prevent collapsing. Rebuilding the walls can be very expensive. Therefore, it is vital that you hire a mold removal and restoration service at the first sign of molding to take care of the problem before it escalates. In addition to structure damage, mold can also cause stains on your office space walls or peeling paint. Additionally, mold can make your commercial space smell and have an unpleasant odor, which can be very distracting for your employees and create an uncomfortable and unsafe work environment.

Mold is a very dangerous and serious problem. Once it infects a building, it causes a threat to its structure and the people living and working in it. Therefore, it needs to be dealt with immediately to protect the building from further and more serious structural damages. Additionally, you should ensure your employees are working in a safe environment and eliminate any problem that can become a health hazard like mold.

Leave a reply

You may also like